Sunday, September 6, 2009

a Twist

Uh so, er, yes, I am actually going to be boarding an airplane next Sunday.

And not just any airplane. I'll be boarding an airplane on its way to Korea.

Again.

Wait, didn't you just get back from Korea?

Yep. Sure did.

* * *

It's a crazy story, which I won't get into it right now.

But it is suffice to say that an opportunity was presented--well, really, handed to me just two Thursday's ago. It was one that I would have been a fool to turn down.

So, here we go again. I am returning to Korea intensely sooner than I had ever anticipated. I'm just as shocked and surprised as you are.

I'll be there for two weeks. And this trip is going to be quite different from the first one back in June and July.

In June and July I traveled to Korea with my husband at my side, holding my hand every step of the way. We traveled with the safety net of a tour group--all activities, accommodations, staff provided.

I know there are plenty of you out there who have made such a trek before and are probably shrugging your shoulders, thinking, yeah, so what's the big deal?

And I admire each one of you. Always have.

You see, I'm a sissy--and I am a little freaked out about making this trip without my normal safeties in place. I know. Ultimately, I am a grown woman, and all will be fine.

* * *

It's just that this is all happening so much faster and so much sooner than I expected. And to be honest, I haven't even finished processing the first trip we made to Korea in June and July to meet my biological parents for the first time.

And now I'm about to do it again.

I'm not complaining or whining--

It's a bit like my husband said, It's like you're watching a movie, and you think it's about to wrap things up. Then suddenly, something unexpected happens, and the plot gets ripped wide open.

Not that this is anything like a movie. And not that this story will ever "wrap things up."

It's simply to say that this is turning out to be quite the twist in an already unpredictable adventure.


12 comments:

Mei-Ling said...

Holy shit.

Are you going to be meeting your umma (and oppa) again?

Mila said...

Er, yep. [Let's just say a very kind & generous soul opened up an opportunity for me]. I will be meeting with my Omma & Appa again. The first meetings are scheduled on the 16th (Omma) and 17th (Appa). And then, we'll just go from there. Everything is so last minute, I feel like my head is in a whirlwind.

Mei-Ling said...

Dang girl. You're so - wait for it - lucky.

Yeah, I know, some adoptees despise that word, but I think it's warranted in this scenario.

I wish I could already go back to Taiwan, haha.

Be easy on yourself...

Jeff and Madeline said...

Awesome! I am so happy for you, I tell you I run through so many things that I wish I said or did and the if only's I could go back--I know my head would be much clearer this time.

Will you blog?

What a wonderful opportunity!

Mila said...

Mei-Ling...I don't mind you using that word in this case, because really, as you said, I believe it is quite warranted in this situation :) I am "lucky" that I am getting to return to Korea so soon. Yay!

Wendy, I really wish I could blog while I'm there, but I don't think that's going to be very likely. If I can while I'm there, I most certainly will...but I don't think I'm going to have much access to computers while I'm there.

Jeff and Madeline said...

I tell you, I had a hard time blogging from China--not just the connection, the what did I want to share (what is mine as far as our experience and what is Madeline's alone).
Wishing you the best trip!
It seems the more we know the more complicated it gets--we have had a few further developments since returning; it is in the moments of trying to digest that information that I find myself learning more about myself and what this means for M. Hard stuff. There are so many layers. I hope you can pull back the peel of the onion, so to speak, with this trip as well. I know it won't provide everything, but with each time you go the journey will add to the discovery of all things.

Mila said...

Thanks, Wendy, for your encouragement :)

tlwhite83 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler said...

Glad to hear that you get to meet with your parents again. I will be close behind, I am leaving for Korea on the 19th, can't wait to get there!

Mila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
윤선 said...

You're so lucky. I'm yet to go back at all...

kyungmee said...

I am so happy for you! And yes, your husband sounds like mine! It is like a movie but the ending changes and more is added to the story. And Wendy explains it well, with each visit and reunions more layers are uncovered and the more you learn about yourself and your history. And it may lead you to new and unexpected paths! I wish you the best and hope you will have access to a computer:)