Friday, January 14, 2011

My Omma's Words...


Excerpted from a letter I recently received from my Omma as we await the birth of my husband's and my first child:

"I don't know whose mercy helps us to meet...I can't describe any words to express how I feel gratitude to see my grandchild. You may lived full of sadness, and to me, it was uncomfortable to live day by day until this day comes...Even though we live separately, but I always be with you. Although the baby isn't born yet still, he may feel good because your happiness is also baby's happiness...Your bad mother always pray for you and now I can give happiness to you...I love you so much my daughter, take care. Thank you, dear Melissa and Michael..."

* * *

My Omma's words speak for themselves--even through the broken and strained translation, her words tell us what needs to be heard, what needs to be felt...For anyone who doubts or questions the complexities surrounding adoption and reunion--the simultaneous grief and hope--her words make clear that although we have found one another, it is so only because we first lost each other...

And although her words tell us so much, as both she and I anticipate the birth of my husband's and my first child, there still remains so much emotion, profundity, and depth unspoken that all the words in the world could never even begin to express or illuminate...

Twelve more days, Omma, and your grandson will be here, awaiting your arms, carrying within him a piece of you--along with all the hope that you and I never knew until now...




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. This may be the most touching thing I've ever read.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this emotional and personal letter. I agree with Sona, it may be the most touching thing I have read!
The Other Melissa AKA TOM :-)

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh what a sweet letter. Did she call herself the "bad mother"? Oh when I read that I got tears in my eyes. I can't imagine the range of emotions you both are feeling. Praying for your baby and big hugs!!!

Yoli said...

This is so beautiful.

Unknown said...

Just beautiful. So moving. Blessings to you in these last days of your pregnancy.

Whitney said...

beautiful letter from your omma. how do you get your letters translated? is it a service offered by your adoption agency?
your little one should be coming soon! best to you & your family during this exciting time.

Mila said...

Whitney, hello! Our letters are translated by "volunteers," basically students and others who have grasp enough of both languages. I'm so grateful for the volunteers, because otherwise translation (if I actually used the agency) would cost an arm and a leg...

Thanks for the well wishes (5 more days...), I hope you yourself are well!