Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mementos: Korea on my Mind



A sketch done by my husband. The caption he included makes me laugh. We encountered a pagoda garden with hundreds upon hundreds of pagodas built by visitors to Bulguksa Temple near the Gyeongju area.



A watercolor painting I did last month when I was having difficulty processing all the emotion that comes with the process of search, reunion, and post-reunion.



A souvenir from Korea's convenience stores. The name of this candy bar makes me laugh. It's supposed to be Lotte's version of "Nestle Crunch," I suppose. Lotte is a giant corporation in Korea. It is somewhat like the Korean version of Walmart, but a little more sophisticated and diversified.


5 comments:

Mike said...

The caption relates to my thoughts about pagodas. It was explained to us that people get better fortune if they can stack it really high without it falling over. And if you knock someone else's down, it brings bad fortune. I thought it was a really funny concept. Here is a stack of my hopes a dreams, as high as I could build. A curse be one you if you knock it down. It's like a game that little kids would come up with.

Jae Ran said...

The art is beautiful. And I totally miss crunky!!!

Mia_h_n said...

I love the sketch. You are such artists. Perhaps you noticed my stone while at Bulguksa??

Anonymous said...

Lotte is an unusual animal, a Japanese/Korean (mostly) food company that sells the same products in both countries. The name "Crunky" makes me chuckle, too.

Mila said...

There is this gigantic mall in Seoul called Lotte World. I went there several times during my second trip to Korea and was amazed. They had an ice skating rink inside and a faux hot air balloon ride. They also had the Korean version of a Disney-like amusement area inside the mall. Shops galore, restaurants. I don't even think I ever experienced it in its entirety.

Hyundai also had their own department stores and a beach in Busan, their own hotels...